Kids Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Mediation and Disagreement Resolution Service
KIDS SEN Mediation helps parents or young people resolve disagreements about Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessments and Plans, as well as other issues.
Parents and young people can use mediation before making an appeal to the SEND Tribunal . Mediation is very successful and means you may not have to go to Tribunal. But if you are not happy with the outcome of mediation, you can still make an appeal to the Tribunal.
What we do:
- All our work is free of charge. The service is for children and young people age 0 to 25 and their parents. Mediation is quick and informal and often helps resolve disagreements so that you do not have to go to Tribunal.
- We give Mediation Information and Advice (MIAS). We arrange Mediation and disagreement resolution between parents and the local authority, as well as the school or college. Health and Social Services can also be involved.
- Mediation meetings are usually face-to-face. The impartial mediator helps everybody prepare for the meeting and makes sure that everybody's voice is heard. Mediation meetings take place somewhere near you and within 30 days of your request.
- At the end of the Mediation meeting, the mediator helps parties put their agreements in writing. The agreement is signed and a copy given to everybody. This forms a Contract between the parties.
- KIDS have a big team of mediators who are very experienced and have nationally recognised mediator accreditations. They are all specialist SEND mediators.
Who to contact
Time / Date Details
- Session Information
Monday - Friday - 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Age Ranges
- 0-25 years
- Local Offer Age Bands
Transition to adulthood 14 +
Pre and Post Birth < 0 - 2 years
Secondary 11 - 16 years
Early Years 2 - 5 years
Primary 4 - 11 years