Independent Travel Training
What is independent travel training?
Travel training supports children, young people and adults to get more out of life through learning the skills and building confidence to use public transport safely.
Why learn travel skills?
Travel training helps to develop a range of practical and social skills in a hands-on setting. The ability to travel independently will improve opportunities for education, recreation, employment, leisure and social activities.
What will you learn?
By taking part in independent travel training activities you will learn:
- routes and landmarks
- personal safety
- road and pavement skills
- how to use a bus
- how to use the train
- how to use a taxi
- how to buy tickets
- to recognise and avoid dangerous situations
- what to do in an emergency
Who will teach these skills?
Travel training is delivered by Dorin Park School on behalf of Cheshire West and Chester Council.
Travel training sessions are provided by specialist travel trainers who are accreditedby the Open College Network (OCN) and have clearance by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) - enhanced check. A risk assessment is completed for each route that is undertaken.
Training sessions include:
- Public Transport Safety Awareness
- Individual Student Assessment
- What to do when things don't go to plan
- Pedestrian Safety Awareness
- Road Safety Awareness
- Emergency Procedures
- Risk Assessment
What can parents/carers do?
- Talk to the school/college/day service
- Work with the Trainer
- Give permission for the trainee to start the practical journey. You will be kept informed at each stage and will be part of the signing off process after the training
- Encourage and practice skills with the trainee.
Who to contact
- 0300 123 7039
Where to go
Cheshire West & Chester Council, 58
4 Civic Way
- CH65 0BE
Time / Date Details
- Session Information
Office Opening times: Monday - Thursday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm and Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
- Areas Covered
- All Areas Of Cheshire West And Chester
- Referral Details
Who can have travel training?
Travel training is available to anyone who is eligible for travel assistance from home to School or College. This may include children and young people with a statement of special educational needs, or an Education, Health and Care Plan.
To complete a referral form please click here
- Referral criteria
Referral criteria Criteria Self Referral