Apprenticeships, Cheshire West and Chester Council
Apprenticeships: information for residents
Please note: This page provides information for those wanting to be employed as an apprentice. If you are a business wanting to employ an apprentice please see the information for business page below
Apprenticeships are a mixture of work-based training and education for young people aged 16 and over. They include:
- a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) in the appropriate occupational area
- key skills such as communication and application of number
- a technical certificate (which underpins your NVQ with the knowledge you will need to do the job)
Apprentices are paid the national minimum wage. However, as skills develop, many employers tend to increase wages. The national minimum wage applies to all 16 to 18-year-olds and to those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship.
There are two types of Council apprenticeship - intermediate and advanced. We mostly offer Business Administration apprenticeships but other apprenticeships are sometimes available.
Business Administration apprentices
We recruit Business Administration apprentices all year round, into opportunities in every area of the Council. A Business Administration apprenticeship could be for you if you believe you can demonstrate the following qualities:
- enthusiasm to learn
- willingness to help others and work as part of a team
- genuine interest in the activities of the Council
- reliable and able to work accurately with good attention to detail
- good response to management direction and ability to act on feedback
- flexible and adaptable
- good interpersonal skills to work as part of a team
As a Business Administration apprentice, you’ll not only be paid for your work but you’ll also complete a recognised qualification (Level 2 Diploma in Business Administration) and learn skills such as:
- handling mail
- minute taking
- organising and reporting data
- working effectively with others
- operating a computer
- dealing with visitors and customers
- using word processing/spreadsheet software
Normally we ask for five GCSEs at grade C or above, including Maths and English. However, enthusiasm for the role and commitment to learning are more important and for the right candidate, support will be provided with meeting the minimum standards of Maths and English if required.
Applying for a Business Administration apprenticeship
If shortlisted, you’ll be invited to interview. It’s therefore not possible to give any definite timescales as to when this might happen.If you do decide to apply for an apprenticeship with us, please note the following.
- All correspondence with you will take place by email, so please check your emails regularly and if you change email address, let us know.
- Our apprentice opportunities may be based anywhere in the Borough. Most positions will be based at either HQ Building in Chester City Centre, or Civic Way in Ellesmere Port. A smaller number of positions may arise at Wyvern House, Winsford and at other locations across the borough. If invited to interview, you will be informed where the role will be based. We won’t 'deselect' you for a position based solely on where you live compared to where the role is based so if this location is not realistically practical for you in terms of travel to work, please do let us know.
- Similarly, our opportunities are in all areas of the organisation. For Business Administration apprenticeships your experience gained working with us in any department will help you with the qualification and in securing a future role, in or outside of the Council (and almost all of our Business Administration apprentices go on to secure a permanent role in the Council, often after they have progressed to the Advanced diploma qualification).
As well as Business Administration, we also offer apprenticeships in other areas from time to time, for instance:
- streetscene / land management
- communications and Marketing
- human resources
We plan to grow our range of apprenticeships in the future.
We advertise our Business Administration apprenticeships, along with all other Apprenticeship opportunities, on the Council Vacancies page.
If you are interested in applying for an apprenticeship with us, please check regularly as new vacancies are uploaded as soon as they become available. You can apply for as many vacancies as you like. And remember, from 1 May 2017 all age-related funding restrictions (and most qualification-related) are lifted. So, no matter your age or previous qualifications, you may be suitable for an apprenticeship and we would love to hear from you.
Who to contact
Where to go
58 Nicholas Street
- CH1 2NP
- Age Ranges
- 16 years and over
- Areas Covered
- All Areas Of Cheshire West And Chester
- Referral criteria
Referral criteria Criteria Self Referral
- Local Offer Age Bands
- Transition to adulthood 14 +