What are Changing Places Toilets? (Full list in Cheshire West below)
Standard accessible toilets do not meet the needs of all people with a disability.
People with profound and multiple learning disabilities, as well people with other physical disabilities such as spinal injuries, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis often need extra facilities to allow them to use the toilets safely and comfortably.
Changing Places toilets are different to standard accessible toilets (or "disabled toilets") as they have extra features and more space to meet the needs of people who use them.
Each Changing Places toilet provides:
The right equipment
- a height adjustable adult-sized changing bench
- a tracking hoist system, or mobile hoist if this is not possible.
- adequate space in the changing area for the disabled person and up to two carers
- a centrally placed toilet with room either side
- a screen or curtain to allow some privacy.
A safe and clean environment
- wide tear off paper roll to cover the bench
- a large waste bin for disposable pads
- a non-slip floor.
Cheshire West Changing Places
The following Changing Places toilets are available in Cheshire West and Chester:
- Chester Zoo, Caughall Road, Upton, Chester, CH2 1LH
- Frodsham Street Public Toilets, Chester, Chester, CH1 3JJ
- The Pavilion, Grosvenor Park, Grosvenor Park Road, Chester, CH1 1QQ
- Storyhouse, Chester
- Chester Bus Interchange, Gorse Stacks, Chester, CH1 3EF
- Little Roodee Café, Chester
- Sandy Lane Park, Chester
- Northwich Memorial Court, Chester Way, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 5QJ
- Ellesmere Port Sports Village, Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, CH65 9JL
- Winsford Lifestyle Centre
Cheshire West and Chester Council is working with partners in the public and private sector to increase the number of Changing Places facilities within the borough.
For more information about current and future changing places facilities please contact us.