NEWS UPDATE – MARCH 2018
FWL Associates will start the High Needs Strategic review this month and will be contacting key groups to seek their views.
Meetings with parents and young people will be arranged via the Parent Carer Forum. Please look out for the dates and arrangements for these.
The government has announced a grant to support the development of provision for learners with SEND. The funding to undertake the strategic review in the borough equates to approximately £130,000. The purpose of the grant is to carry out a strategic review of the high needs provision. In Cheshire West and Chester this follows on from the review and subsequent provision improvements undertaken in our strategic review in 2013/14. We are proposing to work with parents carers , young people, providers and stakeholders to get the following:
- Detailed understanding of our current special school population and pupil profile
- Detailed understanding of our future needs and profiles of specialist provision to meet that need
- Detailed understanding of future post 16 needs and opportunities to improve provision and capacity in our local communities
- Detailed understanding of the views of all stakeholders in terms of existing strengths and opportunities to improve high needs provision
- Detailed understanding of perceived barriers to inclusion in mainstream schools and colleges with recommendations for potential solutions
- Detailed understanding of potential challenges, together with potential solutions to these
This review is due to start in the new year and will report in September 2018. We would like to get as many parents, carers and young people involved as possible and will be sharing more information when the review starts.