In this section you can find information about different types of childcare. The below informaiton is to give you a guide about the type of childcare available for individual service details see our categories on the right hand side of the page to find the childcare in your area.
- Registered childminders look after your child along with other children. Childminders are registered to provide care within their own home and are self-employed.
- Childminders can be very flexible about the hours they work. Some childminders will work early mornings, evenings, weekends and some provide overnight care.
- Day nurseries offer care for children aged between birth – 5 years, some nurseries also run out of school clubs from their premises.
- Opening hours are generally 8.00am to 6.00pm, but some offer earlier start or finish times and are generally open all year round.
- Pre-school playgroups usually provide care for children age 2 – 5 years
- Pre-school are usually open during term time only
- Most pre-schools offer morning and afternoon sessions and some are open during school opening hours
Out of School Care/Holiday Schemes
- Most of school clubs are open before and after the school day
- Some operate before or after school clubs only
- Some also operate holiday schemes during school holidays when they are usually open from 8.00am until 6.00pm.
- Some operate holiday schemes only and are open for some or all school holidays
- maintained nurseries are nurseries that are based and run by the school usually provide care for children age 3 – reception class
- Are usually open during term time only
- Some maintained nurseries offer morning and afternoon sessions and some are open during school opening hours
nursery schools and independent nurseries offer the same type of service to maintained nurseries but run independently.
To find maintained nurseries, nurseries schools and independent nurseries please click here.
The Information, Advice and Support Service can help you to find childcare that meets your requirements.
- Do you have a child with addtional needs
- Have you been unable to find childcare from the information we have sent you?
- Are looking to return to employment or training?
- Do have a differing work pattern?
- Do you require childcare at short notice?
For more information see our factsheet
- Tel: 0300 123 7001
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: The Council Offices, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE